Two more beers, two more bottled

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Week before last I brewed my third attempt at the stout recipe, and yesterday I bottled and put into storage.

Chupathingy V3b

7.5 # Light Malt extract
.25 # Roasted Barley
.25 # Flaked Barley
.75 # Crystal 150
1 oz Williamette Hops (Boil)
1 oz Cascade Hops (Finishing)
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Did this one a bit differently. Brewed for 90 minutes instead of 60, which after sparging gave me an original S.G. of 1.076. Let it ferment for 2 weeks, bottled at a final S.G. of 1.014. My calculations tell me that this one should be about 8% alcohol. Woo.

Bottled the random hefewiezen last week, at a final S.G. of 1.012. Tasted two so far. Big, dumb, and fruity. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Last night I also brewed an amber ale. Recipe was sent in an email, and I figured what the hell, I need to do an amber anyway. So off we go.

Isolated Thunderstorms Amber

7# Munich Malt Extract
.75# Crystal 75
.25# Victory
.25# Colorado 2 Row
1 oz German Tradition Hops (boil)
1 oz Tettnang Hops (@30 min)
White Labs British Ale Yeast

After boiling and sparging, the original S.G. was 1.056. Now I'm waiting for fermentation to start.

Last recipe, which I did as I was really wanting something different, is an oatmeal milk stout. Recipe may not be spot on, but I'll update when I find something better than my notes.

Oatmeal Milk Stout
6# Light Malt Extract
.75# Flaked Oats (Toasted for 75 min @325, turning every 15 minutes)
.5# English Crystal 60
.5# English Roast
.5# English Chocolate
1.5oz Goldings Hops (@boil)
.75# Lactose (@50 min)

Initial S.G. 1.058 after sparge. Racked to new 6.5 gallon carboy. Fermentation has been steady, but I'm worried about the yeast crap not getting stuck to the carboy and instead falling back into the wort. Oh, well. Cross your fingers with me.

That's it for this weeks update.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL:

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by published on May 6, 2009 9:24 AM.

Beer recipes for the week was the previous entry in this blog.

Rover repairs, midweek edition is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.