This week, I brewed two batches to try to keep up with my insatiable thirst.
1. Chupathingy Stout
I got my inspiration for this from the Cushlomacree stout in the Joy of Homebrewing. My copy is about 20 years old, so I had to do a number of substitutions, and I also added some different grain to try to smooth it out.
7.5 # Light Malt extract
.25 # Roasted Barley
.75 # Crystal 150
1 oz Williamette Hops (Boil)
1 oz Cascade Hops (Finishing)
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast
This is a repeat for me, as the last batch was a little more popular than I was expecting. After the sparge, I was off the expected S.G. by about 4 thousandths. I got 1.038 rather than the 1.042 I was expecting. I may have diluted a little too far when I mixed with the cold water. We'll see how it turns out.
2. Random Hefeweizen
7 # Wheat Malt Extract
.5 # German Wheat
.5 # Crystal 40
.5 # Dexterine Malt
1 oz. German Select Hops (Boil)
White Labs Hefeweizen Yeast (WL300)
This is a first try. I'll update when it's drinkable. Original S.G. was 1.052, which should be plenty potent.
I also sampled my vit for the first time. Initial thoughts: big mouthfeel, pronounced orange and coriander notes, light to medium malt flavor. A couple more weeks should see this one getting good.
My mild British brown ale (bottled two weeks ago) seems to be aging nicely. The bitterness is starting to come to the fore, but the malt flavor is a little light. If it doesn't get stronger through the bottle conditioning, I may have to alter the recipe a touch.
The original run of Chupathingy stout is getting better every day. At the 2 week mark, it had developed some fairly strong banana esters, which were a little off-putting, but those disappeared within a week, and what's left is a smooth, strong stout with good barley and chocolate notes and a very pleasant finish. Too bad this one's almost gone.
Anyway, there's your update. You're welcome.